Search This Blog

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

My Recent Experiences in Baking with Honey

Sorry for the long interruption in entries folks!  I'll post another recipe soon.  In the meantime, I've been busy baking up lots of cookies - including some of my own Biscotti combinations.  It's been lots of fun and I've been experimenting with using honey as a sweetener instead of sugar. 

So far, I've had the most success substituting honey for processed sugars in oatmeal-based cookies as the honey adds quite a bit of extra moisture and also does not melt during baking as sugar does.  This means your recipes will need to be adjusted and if you only add flour to counterract the extra moisture - you'll end up with cookies that have a cake-like or muffin-like texture.  I've found it works best to increase the oats to the extent that you do not need to add any flour or only 1/2 to 1 cup additional flour.  I've also had success with increasing the baking soda - but have only done so in recipes with 1 teaspoon or less of baking soda.  Finally, I've found that the cookies hold their shape and do not spread much, if at all, so if you're using a recipe for drop cookies or cookies that are rolled into a ball, but not flattened, you'll need to flatten them.

Until next time - happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!