Search This Blog

Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Peanut Butter Squares - source unknown

Since I'm a bit behind on entries, I thought I'd post a recipe today in addition to my notes on the Chocolate Fudge Cake.  I'm not sure if I've ever had these squares before, but they sound great and I think they'd be a perfect lunch box addition. 

Peanut Butter Squares

3 1/2 C Flour                        1 tsp Vanilla
1 tbs Baking Powder            1 C Peanut Butter
1/2 tsp Salt                            1/2 C Honey
1 C lard (shortening)            1/4 tsp Salt
2 C Brown Sugar                 
2 Eggs, beaten

Sift flour with baking powder & 1/2 tsp salt.  (in a separate bowl) Cream lard (shortening) and sugar gradually.  Add eggs & vanilla & beat thoroughly.  Add sifted dry ingredients & mix until well blended.   Place 1/2 of the dough in a 9x14 in. greased pan.  Mix peanut butter, honey & 1/4 tsp salt & spread over dough.  Press other 1/2 of dough on top.  Bake in moderate oven - 375 degrees for 20-25 min.  Cut in uniform pieces about 1 1/2 in. squares.  Yield - 4 dozen.

Grandmas Notes:  I put mine in a 350 oven.  I also like more honey - 1 Cup.

Chris' Notes:  It seems from the notes that this isn't one of Grandma's own recipes, but I could find no mention of source and she signed her name to it - perhaps she'd intended to give it to someone.  She mailed me recipes pretty regularly.    Grandma once noted on a recipe she sent me that she was a "great one for changing recipes"- thus the additional honey in this one. 

Enjoy and until next time - happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!