Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Maria Carbone's Applesauce Cake Recipe

While we're waiting anxiously for the olives to arrive, we have trays and trays of apples drying in the dehydrator.  Usually in the fall, we've made applesauce with the apples from our trees, but this year, Steven decided to dehydrate them instead.  Since apples are such a fall staple and applesauce is such a popular way to preserve them, I thought you might enjoy a recipe to use up that applesauce (besides just serving it with pork chops)! This is one of the first recipes I sampled from Grandma's collection, and although I haven't made it for a couple years now, I do remember it is truly "V.G." As Josephine notes on the recipe "This cake is very easy to make & it's very good & moist".  I actually found 3 copies of this recipe, plus one labeled as Josephine Carbone's, which has just a couple minor differences and one that is so faded I can't make out the name that I'm almost certain is lurking in the upper left hand corner, but which is also noted "V.G." - this one calls for shortening & coffee.

Maria Carbone's Applesauce Cake

1 C oil
1 1/2 C sugar
3 C Flour
2 Tsp flour
2 Tsp Baking Powder
1 Tsp salt
2 Tsp cinnamon
1/2 Tsp cloves
2 C applesauce
1 C raisins
1/2 C nuts (optional)
2 Tsp vanilla

Mix all ingredients by hand.  Bake at 350 degrees, 35-40 min. or more depending on oven.

If you try this recipe (and I hope you will), please let me know how it turns out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!