Search This Blog

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Whacky Cake

This is a recipe I remember Grandma making often.  In fact, I'm told she made these almost daily to satisfy the sweet-tooth of the 5 boys & Grandpa!  This cake has always reminded me of brownies.  It goes together very quickly and I don't know why I don't make it more often.  Grandma had several copies of this recipe and it's notated "V.G." - very good. 

Whacky Cake

1 1/2 C Flour                    
1 tsp. Baking Soda           
1/2 tsp. Salt                       
3 tbls. Cocoa                    
1 C Sugar

Sift all ingredients in an ungreased pan.  Add 1tbls. vinegar, 1 tsp. vanilla, & 6 tbls. oil.  Add 1 cup cold water, stir well.  Bake 30-35 min. at 325 degrees.

For those who like icing on their cake (I prefer this cake without - just the way I like my brownies), you're in luck, one of the recipe cards I found included the following icing recipe on the back.

Icing 

1/2 C White Sugar
1 3/4 tbls. Corn Starch

Mix together & add 1/2 C warm water & 1 square or 1 tbls. chocolate or cocoa.  Cook until thick - add 1 tsp. vanilla & a little butter or margerine.

In both recipes, Grandma is referring to unsweetened cocoa powder - like Hershey's & unsweetened baking chocolate - like Baker's.

I hope you enjoy this recipe.  Buon notte!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!