Search This Blog

Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Panettone

The holidays are coming fast, so I thought I'd dig through Josephine's recipes to find some traditional Italian baked goods that I know are popular for Christmastime as well as a couple non-Italian recipes that would be handy for entertaining this time of year.  I'm starting off this series today with Panettone.  This particular recipe is noted as coming from "Papa Rossi's Secrets of Italian Cooking". 

Panettone

1 pk. fresh or dried yeast
1 cup lukewarm water
2 tbs. pastry flour
6 tbs. butter
6 tbs. sugar
6 egg yolks
1 tsp. salt
1/2 cup seedless raisins
1/2 cup candied fruit, chopped

Mix yeast with 1/2 c. water & set aside for 5 min. 

Combine mixed yeast thoroughly with remaining water & enough flour to make a soft dough.  Cover & set aside to rise in warm place for 1 hr. 

Add butter, sugar, egg yolks, salt, raisins, fruit & remaining flour.  Knead on floured board until consistency of dough is elastic, about 15 min.  Cover, set in warm place & let rise until doubled in bulk.

Shape into 1 large or 2 med. sized round loaves.  Place in greased baking pan, grease top of loaves, cover & let rise until double.  Bake in 370 degree oven 1 hour until outside is browned.  Cool on wire racks away from drafts. 

Chris Note:  I've never made Panettone, but it appears to be a pretty straightforward bread recipe, so maybe I'll give it a try before Christmas.  I'll try to get some photos up if I do.  If any of you Carbone's (or other readers) have made it, please do share your experiences & tips, we'd love to hear them - we'd love to post your photos too!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!