Search This Blog

Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Made Chewy Oatmeal Cookies Today

I made a batch of Grandma's Chewy Oatmeal Cookies today - it made about 5 doz. cookies - a nice sized batch.  It was a bit tricky figuring out when they were done just right.  In my oven it took 10 minutes at 375 (regular bake, I didn't use my convection setting).  Then are just right when the cracks that appear in the cookies as they bake are no longer wet looking, but the cookies are still pale on top - one minute longer and they are thick & crunchy, but no longer very chewy.  They will be a uniform golden brown on the bottom too, but don't check them that way or they will fall and be crunchy.  

They are very tasty cookies, indeed and they were very easy to make.  I'm usually a stickler for putting nuts in cookies, I just like the way nuts offset the sweetness and I like the texture, but the oatmeal in these provides a nice texture so they're a good option for those who don't like nuts in their cookies.

Note:  If you do have a convection oven, I'd start by following the manufacturers instructions for adjusting recipes for convection baking as I remember that Grandma's convection oven was a toaster oven combo or microwave combo and it was a very small counter top version.  I can't imagine the cookies coming out of my oven on convection at 300 degrees and taking only 8-10 minutes, although I'm sure if I used same at 350, they'd be done in 6-8 minutes. 

Now to pick the next recipe to post...

Happy baking!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from you!